Monday, December 29, 2008

New Year's Resolution...



Fact is, I'm pretty good at writing in my journal everyday. Perhaps it's come from years of habit, but I am really consistent at it. As far as blogging everyday goes, I stink at it. But I want to do better.

I've realized lately that I need to start challenging myself everyday to look at things a little bit differently. Maybe it was an epiphany I received from watching the latest episode of Survivorman (of all places) and taking a tidbit of his good wisdom to heart. "By challenging yourself to look at things a little bit differently, and little bit of ingenuity, the possibilities are endless." This is the challenge I'm giving to myself this new year. Everyday I want to find subject matter to photograph. From things that are simple, to those that are wonderfully complex, and intricately beautiful. Everyday something different.

For me, it starts by stopping myself in my busy life to breathe, then challenging myself to see beyond what I saw at first glance to see how line, balance, texture and form work together to create art. It requires effort on my part. But I love being in that place where I see the world differently. It truly makes me happy.

Tell me, what things do you do to help yourself look at things differently? What do you do to stretch your mind creatively? I'd love to hear your responses...

0 comments: